I am currently prepping my John Sinclair campaign and look for figure flats to use. There are many available to purchase, but sometimes the right thing is just not available. I found the perfect solution in the little java tool called FlatsCreator. It was made by a german player of Savage Worlds and he thankfully shares it with the community. It works flawlessly for me and I can honestly recommend it. How does it work?
- First get FlatsCreator from here.
- Make sure you have java installed http://www.java.com/de/download/
- One or more picture to use as the base. These must be PNGs with a transparent background, so that FlatsCreator can mirror the image and color the back side black.
- Adobe Reader to open the resulting PDF. Other viewers can work, but may cause problems.
How to do it:
- Look for an Image you want to use for a Trifold and save it on your computer.
- Open the Image with a graphics program, like the free GIMP, and add an Alpha Channel for the transparency. In Gimp you find this under Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel
- Cut your image to size and remove the background with the Fuzzy Select Tool. The Image must only contain the character you want to see on the figureflat, the rest needs to be transparent.
- Save the image as .png and open FlatsCreator
- Enter the parameters for side border and the height for the figure-flat
- Add your Image, enter a name, the width, and number of trifolds
- Make sure you leave the text box you just edited (such as the number of trifolds) by simply clicking somewhere else or pressing enter. Otherwise the program will not recognize your changes.
- Select File-> Export and choose where the resulting PDF will be saved and name it so you can easily recognize it again.
- Open the PDF in the reader and print it out.
I really enjoy this little tool as it makes creating unique and good-looking trifolds very easy. What about you? Do you use trifolds? Regular miniatures? No figures at all? Let me know in the comments.
Read you soon.